Sanofi-Aventis:Pleased With Phase III Results For HIV Vaccine
PARIS -(Dow Jones)- Sanofi Pasteur, the vaccines division of drugmaker Sanofi- Aventis SA (SNY), Thursday commended the results of the collaborative HIV vaccine trial that has been conducted in Thailand over the past six years.
- The Phase III clinical trial involving more than 16,000 adult volunteers in Thailand has demonstrated that an investigational HIV vaccine regimen was safe and modestly effective in preventing HIV infection.
- According to the final results released today by the trial sponsor - the U.S. Army Surgeon General - the prime-boost combination of ALVAC HIV and AIDSVAX B/E vaccines lowered the rate of HIV infection by 31.2% compared with placebo.
- The comprehensive results will be presented by the lead clinical investigator on October 20, 2009 at AIDS Vaccine 2009 in Paris.
- Albeit modest, the reduction of risk of HIV infection is statistically significant. This is the first concrete evidence, since the discovery of the virus in 1983, that a vaccine against HIV is eventually feasible," said Michel DeWilde, R&D Senior Vice President for Sanofi Pasteur, the manufacturer of the prime vaccine, ALVAC HIV.
- Christopher A. Viehbacher, Chief Executive Officer of Sanofi-Aventis said: " Sanofi Pasteur will continue its long-standing commitment to HIV vaccine research and development efforts by partnering with academia, governments, non- governmental organizations, and other vaccine companies to progress the science, so that one day we will be able to provide access to HIV vaccines to people who need them."
- By Paris Bureau, Dow Jones Newswires; +331-4017-1740; jethro.mullen@ dowjones.com
(END) Dow Jones Newswires
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
|aus der Diskussion:||Sanofi-Aventis meldet ersten Erfolg aus Studie zu HIV-Impfstoff|
|Autor (Datum des Eintrages):||Poppholz (24.09.09 13:02:51)|
|Beitrag:||8 von 27 (ID:38047592)|
|Alle Angaben ohne Gewähr © wallstreet:online|