Civica Rx and Hikma Announce Shipments of Heparin and Seven Other Essential Injectable Medicines
Civica Rx (Civica, Inc.) and Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC (Hikma, Group) (LSE: HIK) (NASDAQ Dubai: HIK) (OTC: HKMPY) (rated Ba1/stable Moody's and BB+/positive S&P), the multinational generic pharmaceutical company, today announced imminent shipments of Heparin Sodium Injection, USP, and seven other essential injectable medicines, with additional products to follow in the near term in the US through its affiliate, Hikma Pharmaceuticals USA Inc.1
Today’s announcement comes as industry experts work to avoid an extended shortage of Heparin, the preferred anticoagulant for many hospitalized patients. Heparin is commonly prescribed for patients with significant blood clots in their lungs or clogged arteries, and patients receiving dialysis, or undergoing cardiac surgery. It is prescribed to more than 10 million Americans every year.
Shortages of Heparin, which is derived from porcine intestinal mucosa, may be possible due to an outbreak of African Swine Fever that has killed an unprecedented number of the world's pigs. The outbreak has predominantly impacted China, home to half of the world’s swine population. Hikma sources its Heparin raw materials from the US, and has not been impacted.
In addition to Heparin, the Civica Rx-Hikma partnership will be shipping additional medications, including essential shortage medications^, before the end of the year, including:
- Naloxone Hydrochloride Injection, USP – Naloxone is an opioid antagonist medication used to block or reverse the effects of opioid drugs, particularly drug overdoses. It works by blocking the effects of the opioid in the brain and is often used in hospitals and EMS services.
- Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate Injection, USP^ – Dexamethasone is a steroid used to treat various conditions such as severe allergic reactions, arthritis, blood diseases, breathing problems, certain cancers, eye diseases, intestinal disorders, and skin diseases. It decreases the body's natural defensive response and reduces symptoms such as swelling and other physical reactions.
- Glycopyrrolate Injection, USP – Glycopyrrolate is used in surgeries to reduce airway secretions or to prevent heart rhythm problems during anesthesia, intubation, or surgery.
- Prochlorperazine Edisylate Injection, USP – Prochlorperazine is used to control severe nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and in the pre- and post-operative setting.
- Ondansetron Injection, USP^ – Ondansetron is used to prevent nausea and vomiting that may be caused by surgery or cancer chemotherapy.
- Morphine Sulfate Injection, USP^ – Morphine is a narcotic analgesic medication used to relieve moderate to severe pain. It may be also be used before or during surgery with an anesthetic.
- Metoprolol Tartrate Injection, USP^ – Metoprolol is a beta-blocker used to treat angina and hypertension. It is also used to lower the risk of death or need for hospitalization for heart failure.
“We are thrilled to be delivering on our partnership’s promise to ensure vital medications are consistently available for hospitals and patients who need them,” said Martin VanTrieste, President and CEO of Civica Rx. “These shipments reinforce our confidence in Hikma’s expertise and manufacturing capabilities and it’s especially gratifying that the initial deliverable of our partnership will help ensure an increased supply of heparin at a time when there is an ongoing threat to supply.”