checkAd

Cytokinetics Announces Presentations Related to Health Economics and Outcomes Research in Heart Failure and Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy at American College of Cardiology 70th Annual Scientific Session & Expo (ACC.21)

Nachrichtenquelle: globenewswire
16.05.2021, 14:00  |  154   |   |   

SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., May 16, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cytokinetics, Incorporated (Nasdaq: CYTK) today announced that new findings from analyses of claims data and electronic health records related to heart failure (HF) and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) were shared in two poster presentations at the American College of Cardiology 70th Annual Scientific Session & Expo (ACC.21). One poster presented data on spending for hospitalized Medicare patients with HF underscoring the economic burden of their healthcare, and an additional poster presented demographics and clinical characteristics of patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

“Together these analyses highlight the severity, complexity and burden associated with each of heart failure and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy as well as the high costs associated with managing the cycle of hospitalization and readmission for patients with heart failure,” said Robert I. Blum, President and Chief Executive Officer of Cytokinetics. “Our collaborative research initiatives with leading teaching institutions and health economics experts continue to inform our understanding of the clinical and economic burden and underscore how potential new therapies may improve health outcomes.”

High Spending Among Medicare Patients Hospitalized with Heart Failure and Substantial Payments for Post-Acute Care

This analysis builds upon a previously presented analysis conducted in collaboration with Yale University School of Medicine examining payments spanning index hospitalization through 30-days post-discharge for Medicare beneficiaries with HF. Using Medicare fee-for-service administrative claims data, patients hospitalized with HF from 2016-2018 were identified with the following primary discharge diagnoses (ICD-10 codes): systolic HF (50.2 and 50.4), diastolic HF (50.3), hypertensive heart disease (HHD) with HF (I11), and HHD with HF and chronic kidney disease (I13). The total estimated mean Medicare 30-day payments for HF care were approximately $16.5 billion over the 3-year study period, with little change in spending year to year.

This new analysis of the same dataset examined 90-day post-discharge spending and found that the total estimated Medicare 90-day payments were approximately $27 billion over the 3-year study period. The index hospitalization accounted for 35% of the total mean 90-day payments. The remaining 65% of payments occurred in the post-acute care period (mean $11,374), driven by payments for readmission including observation stays (36% of post-acute care payments; mean $6,828) and skilled nursing facilities (27% of post-acute care payments; mean $5,192). Overall, 36% of Medicare patients hospitalized with HF were readmitted within 90 days. These results further emphasize the high cost of HF related health care, not only for initial hospitalization but for readmission and ongoing care.

Seite 1 von 4



0 Kommentare

Schreibe Deinen Kommentar

Bitte melden Sie sich an, um zu kommentieren. Anmelden | Registrieren

 

Disclaimer

Cytokinetics Announces Presentations Related to Health Economics and Outcomes Research in Heart Failure and Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy at American College of Cardiology 70th Annual Scientific Session & Expo (ACC.21) SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., May 16, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) - Cytokinetics, Incorporated (Nasdaq: CYTK) today announced that new findings from analyses of claims data and electronic health records related to heart failure (HF) and hypertrophic …

Nachrichten des Autors

Titel
Titel
Titel
Titel