PG&E Named No. 1 Energy Provider Among 100 Best Corporate Citizens for 2017
Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) was named No. 1 among gas and electric providers and No. 22 overall in the list of 100 Best Corporate Citizens according to Corporate Responsibility (CR) Magazine. This is the third straight year PG&E has earned distinction on the list and marks an improvement from last year’s overall ranking of 39th place.
“Our responsibilities as an energy provider go beyond our core mission of providing safe, reliable, affordable and clean energy. Our customers also look to us to be a force for innovation and progress, economic development and growth, community investment and vitality, and environmental leadership. We’re honored to be recognized for these efforts,” said Geisha Williams, CEO and President of PG&E Corporation.
So far in 2017, PG&E has been named as one of the best places to work by the Human Rights Campaign, received an award from the Edison Electric Institute for providing outstanding customer service to national accounts and earned recognition for having one of the world’s top 20 training programs by Training Magazine.
The 100 Best Corporate Citizens list was compiled using 260 data elements in seven categories: environment, climate change, employee relations, human rights, governance, finance, and philanthropy and community support. Those selected successfully demonstrated, through publicly available data, their robust efforts to drive disclosure, policy and performance in these categories. PG&E ranked 10th on the environment, 4th in employee relations and 13th in philanthropy and community support.
“CR Magazine is proud to present the only ranking list that doesn’t rely on self-reporting. Each year, the 100 Best Corporate Citizens List measures the success of the corporate responsibility movement by celebrating the most successful, most transparent companies who report on their responsible practices. We congratulate those honored on this year’s list for their commitment to corporate responsibility,” said Elliot Clark, CEO of CR Magazine.
PG&E’s commitment to a safe, reliable, affordable and clean-energy future can be seen in many aspects of the company’s operations, including:
- Delivering some of the nation’s cleanest energy, with nearly 70 percent of our electricity coming from greenhouse-gas free resources
- Using state-of-the-art detection technology to find and eliminate methane leaks in our natural gas distribution system
- Launching a project to hire 1,000 military veterans over the next eight years—the largest such commitment by any gas and electric company in the country
- Pledging $1 million in grant funds to support local climate resilience initiatives, with a focus on disadvantaged communities
- Setting a new record for employee and retiree giving in our annual Campaign for the Community, raising $8.4 million for schools and nonprofits, along with 97,000 volunteer hours
- Achieving industry-leading supplier diversity results, helping thousands of local businesses to grow and hire
- Convening an external Sustainability Advisory Council to help guide PG&E’s sustainability efforts
The research was performed by IW Financial, a Portland, Maine-based financial analysis firm serving the Environmental, Social, Governance investment community. The full list of 100 Best Corporate Citizens is posted on CR Magazine’s website.
To view PG&E’s annual Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Report and information about the company’s commitment to sustainability click here.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric energy companies in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with more than 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation’s cleanest energy to nearly 16 million people in Northern and Central California. For more information, visit www.pge.com/ and pge.com/news.